Interested in a career with KCM1? We typically hire 1-3 EMT’s or Paramedic’s a year. Some benefits to working at KCM1 include:
- Paramedic Interns can expect to make approximately $50,000 during their 10 months at the University of Washington’s Paramedic Training Program.
- Starting pay for Paramedic’s after completion of school is $32.45/hour with a 47 hour/week schedule.
- All Paramedics and Paramedic Interns receiver full medical, dental and vision insurance.
- All Paramedics and Paramedic Interns receive both short and long-term disability insurance.
- Paramedics and Paramedic Interns are entered into Washington State’s LEOFF 2 Pension plan from date of hire onwards.
- Paramedics and Paramedic Interns begin to accrue paid vacation and sick leave from date of hire onwards.
- All medic units are dual-paramedic.
- Paramedic’s work 24-hour shifts, based out of a permanent station that is equipped with full living facilities (beds, kitchens, shower/bathrooms).
- KCM1 is a targeted ALS agency and is only dispatched to, and only transports ALS calls.
- All CE is paid for and provided by the department.
- After completion of Paramedic Training all Paramedics are eligible for Advanced Standing entry into Central Washington Universities Bachelor of Science in EMS/Paramedicine.
- KCM1 boasts multiple options for career advancement, including positions as field and administrative MSO’s (supervisors), Acting MSO’s, FTO’s, and entrance into the department’s Helicopter Rescue Team.
- All Paramedic’s and MSO’s have union representation at the end of their probationary year.
Requirements for testing
- Currently certified as either an EMT or Paramedic (Washington State certification is not required).
- 3 years of prehospital EMS experience with 1 full year being with the same agency.
- Valid driver’s license (must be able to obtain a Washington State license if currently from out of state).
- Must be either a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States at time of hire (KCM1 does not sponsor work-related visa’s at this time).
KCM1 runs a 5 phase testing process through the department, and through an impartial 3rd party testing center.
- Complete both a written civil service test and a written EMT test administered by Public Safety Testing and the Personal History Statement. These may be completed before applying for the department.
- Complete an application for KCM1 (available at King Counties Job’s website).
- The top 40 applicants will be invited to an Assessment Center run by KCM1.
- Top scoring candidates from the Assessment Center will complete a Physical Agility Test on a pass/fail basis.
- Passing candidates will be invited to an oral interview.
The final candidates will also have to pass a comprehensive background check that includes both a medical exam, as well as a criminal history check.
Conditional Job Offer
The top candidates will be given a conditional job offer as Paramedic Interns. This is contingent upon passing all required background checks, as well as:
- Successful completion of the University of Washington’s Paramedic Training Program (ALL Paramedic Interns are required to complete this class, even those currently certified as Paramedics).
- Successful completion of 12 months of probation starting after completion of Paramedic Training, including 6 months working with a FTO and evaluation by the Medical Director.
For more information, please visit: http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/ems/MedicOne/careers.aspx